FIRA have undertaken a feasibility study that benchmarks the carbon footprints of furniture products. The full list of emissions assessed are detailed below:
1) Raw materials and components entering the premises.
2) Delivery of raw materials from the first supplier.
3) Energy usage e.g. fuel, electricity.
4) Manufacturing processes onsite.
5) Manufacturing service consumables.
6) Outsourced activities.
7) Business and administration support activities such as sales, operation of the premises, cars and travel.
8) Packaging materials, both temporary and permanent
9) Storage of products on site or an associated facility including transport on site.
The total footprint (including utility bills and business travel) is divided by the number of products manufactured and the end result is a carbon footprint of each individual product.